Susan J. Thomas, Harrison County Clerk (D)
Clerk of County Commission
Susan J. Thomas, Harrison County Clerk
Phone: (304) 624-8675
Fax: (304) 624-8575
Term: 6 Years
Residence: Harrison County
Each county elects a county clerk (except Hardy County which has a joint
whose responsibilities include the management of records of the county
commission and certain election duties.
Primary responsibilities center around two basic functions:
- To act as clerk (fiscal officer) of the Harrison County Commission
- To act as the receiver of fees charged for the instruments filed and
recorded within the county.
To carry out the numerous duties, the county clerk may select deputies
and other employees. The budget for the operation of the county clerk's
office as a whole is determined by the county commission. The salary range
for county clerks is from $42,240 to $55,440 and is required to be full time
in Class I-V counties.
Their duties include:
- Issuance of marriage licenses, birth and death certificates.
- Record births, marriages and deaths in the county.
- Serve as Chief Voter Registration Official for the county; register
- Maintain custody and integrity of the county's voting machines,
ballot boxes and other election supplies.
- Conduct training sessions for poll clerks and other election
officials prior to their service.
- Serve as the recorder of all documents.
- Keep records of County Commission transactions.
- Keep minutes of all County Commission meetings.
- Responsible for the bookkeeping of the county including budget,
accounting and payroll.
- Assist the County Commission in preparation of the budget.
- Prepare the financial statement for the county.
- Set up appointments for the County Commission in their absence.
- Responsible for public notice of all Commission meetings.
- Serve as Secretary to the Civil Service Commissions.
- Issue hunting and fishing licenses will no longer be available.
SEE INFORMATION BELOW
- Provide notary services.
- Issuing military service discharge records.
- Probate wills and assist in administration of estates.
- Conduct absentee voting.
- Serve as election officer; prepare ballot and other
election-related duties; receive filings for county elective
Below you will find links for forms and information
you may be looking for in the County Clerk's Office: